Milwaukee Center for Independence
Address: 2020 W. Wells St.
Transportation: Within walking distance and on the LIMO route.
Days/Hours of Operation:
- LIFE programs: Monday-Friday,
- SEDA School: Monday-Friday, 8am-3pm
Description of Agency/Activities: Milwaukee Center for Independence is a comprehensive, community-based rehabilitation facility and sheltered workshop that helps people with developmental disabilities live and work in the community. The MCFI offers over 50 programs and services to assist people of all ages. Every program is led by a certified, experienced, and professional staff. Each year, the MCFI helps nearly 10,000 individuals reach their personal goals.
Student Role in Agency: MCFI is extremely receptive to students' interests and needs and is flexible with placements. Students will work in one of the following areas depending upon the Service Learning course that student is taking.
- City LIFE: All people with developmental disabilities – the students will be able to develop relationships with consumers, assist program staff in running track activities and attend community integration activities. We have over 100 different tracks that are available to our consumers here at main campus throughout the week. Some examples are: horticulture, photography, art therapy, music therapy, dance and movement, pet therapy, sensory integration, computers, family correspondence (helping consumers write letters to loved ones) etc.
- My LIFE: Working with people with developmental disabilities who are also medically fragile. All activities in this area are hand over hand assistance. The students will work with the program staff to assist consumers in working on activities. There are 20 activities to choose from for the week in this area.
- Access LIFE: Working with people with traumatic brain injury. The student will assist the program staff in art therapy, pet therapy, memory activities, horticulture etc. Many of these consumers are also integrated into tracks in the City LIFE program so the students would have the opportunity to work with the Access clients in other tracks as well.
- SEDA: SEDA is a charter school which provides a unique and rich environment for students with disabilities from Kindergarten through 2nd grade. This school is unique in the sense that it allows students with disabilities to learn in the same classrooms as students without disabilities.
Commitment: More information will be available at Sign-Up Night. TB test, background check, and volunteer application is required.