Address: 818 N 19th St. – Volunteers enter through the Visitor’s Lobby located off of Kilbourn
Transportation: Walking distance or LIMO ride (students encouraged to take LIMO home if finish service after dark)
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 2 minutes
Approximate Travel Time On Foot: 8 minutes
Orientation: Tutoring: Thursday, January 24th 5:00-7:00pm; Nursery: TBD
Days/Hours of Operation: Service times are Monday - Friday 9:00 am-8:15 pm. See below for specifics.
Description of Agency/Activities: There are three program divisions within the Milwaukee Rescue Mission: Safe Harbor, Joy House, and CrossTrainers Academy. Safe Harbor provides food, clothing and shelter for homeless men along with long-term recovery programs. The Joy House gives food, shelter and support to women and children, both in a short term emergency program (New Life Program) and in a transitional living program (Fresh Start). CrossTrainers Academy is a participant in the Milwaukee Parental CHOICE Program and offers a quality Christian education to the city’s at-risk children.
Student Role in Agency:
- After school - Monday - Friday 3:00-4:00pm: Interact with children involved with the site. If you are self-motivated, can handle children coming and going, and can keep the children's attention "captured," this is a time for you. Activities are educational: books, homework, educational videos, educational games, and coloring.
- Daytime Nursery -Three different time slots available Monday – Friday; 9:00am-11:00am, 12:00pm-2:00pm, or 2:00pm-4:00pm: This service will involve a younger group of children, typically ages 0-4 years. Nursery activities involve playing with children and engaging them in motor skills and craft activities and helping with snack time. Service Learners are asked to be flexible.
- Evening Nursery - Wednesday 7:00pm - 8:00pm. This will involve working with young children, ages 1 - 4 years. Activities mostly involve playing with the children. If there are no families as guests on the nights when students do service, they will be asked to plan for when families are staying as guests. This can be the most rewarding, as well as the most exhausting time to do service.
- Tutor – Tuesday and Thursday 5:00pm-7:00pm. From 5:00pm-6:00pm Service Learners will tutor children enrolled in Cross Trainers Academy and those living in Joy House. From 6:00pm-7:00pm Service Learners will tutor those living in the community and teens. Service Learners will be paired up to work one-on-one with a student during each time period. Generally, service-learning students will be able to work with the same student every week, but the students could vary depending on attendance. There is also another tutoring program on Tuesday and/or Thursdays from 5-6pm, students should sign up for both days or do an hour of another program as well.
- Open gym - Mondays from 7:00pm-8:00pm students will supervise and play with children.
- Joy House clothing room - Three different time slots available Monday – Friday; 9:00am-11:00am, 12:00pm-2:00pm, or 2:00pm-4:00pm: Help is appreciated by sorting clothing in the clothing room.
- Volunteer Saturdays - Always and only the second Saturday of every month 9:00am – 12:00pm (help especially needed September 10): Work on whatever the need is at the time – cleaning classrooms, sorting clothes, working in the courtyard, wrapping presents, etc. Confirm with the volunteer coordinator (Darlene 414.935.0241) to reserve your spot.
Commitment: Orientation plus a minimum of once a week during the semester. The time commitment per session varies according to program. Must serve through the week of December 5th.
- Site does not want latecomers - students starting late in semester (for whatever reason) should not sign up for this program.
- Attendance and punctuality are extremely important at this site; go every week and be on time.
- Students that take this position need to be self-motivated and open to diversity.
- Attending the group orientation is a requirement for participation at the Joy House.
- Dress code: Attire must be appropriate.
- Paperwork for both the tutoring and nursery must be turned into the Service Learning office before orientation, by Monday January 28th.
Unique features or challenges of agency: There is a strong Christian underpinning to all aspects of the Rescue Mission. Service Learners say this site is a great experience, and stress that you must take initiative in interaction with clients.