Students can choose from the following 2 locations:
Nursery and Children's Programs
Address: 830 N 19th Street
Walking: Walk west on Wisconsin Ave to N 19th Street. Turn right and walk to Kilbourn Ave. Enter through the Visitor's Lobby located off Kilbourn.
- Approximate Travel Time: 10 minutes
Address: 1524 W. Center Street
By car: Head west on Wisconsin Ave toward N 12th Street. Turn right onto N 12th Street. Turn left onto N Teutonia Ave. Turn left onto W Center Street.
- Approximate Travel Time: 5 minutes
By bus: Take the #12 north from campus 17 stops to Teutonia and Center. Walk 3 minutes.
- Approximate Travel Time: 15 minutes
Orientation: Thursday, January 26th at 3pm OR Tuesday, January 31st at 5:30pm OR Thursday, February 2nd at 5:30pm
Days/Hours of Volunteering: To be determined at Sign Up Night Jan. 25
Description of Agency/Activities: There are three program divisions within the Milwaukee Rescue Mission: Safe Harbor, Joy House, and CrossTrainers Academy. Safe Harbor provides food, clothing and shelter for homeless men along with long-term recovery programs. The Joy House gives food, shelter and support to women and children, both in a short term emergency program (New Life Program) and in a transitional living program (Fresh Start). CrossTrainers Academy is a participant in the Milwaukee Parental CHOICE Program and offers a quality Christian education to the city’s at-risk children. There is a strong Christian underpinning to all aspects of the Rescue Mission. Service Learners say this site is a great experience, and stress that you must take initiative in interaction with clients.
Student Role in Agency:
- Daytime Nursery -Two slots available Monday – Friday; 9:00am-11:00am This service will involve a younger group of children, typically ages 0-4 years. Nursery activities involve playing with children and engaging them in motor skills and craft activities and helping with snack time. Service Learners are asked to be flexible.
- Evening Nursery - Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesday 6:30pm - 8:30pm. This will involve working with young children, ages 1 - 4 years. Activities mostly involve playing with the children. If there are no families as guests on the nights when students do service, they will be asked to plan for when families are staying as guests. This can be the most rewarding, as well as the most exhausting time to do service.
- Tutor – Tuesday and Thursday 5:15pm-7:00pm at Joy House Homework Drop In Center located in Milwaukee rescue Mission. Service Learners can go to the 15th and Central campus to help in a general classroom or can help tutor children enrolled in Cross Trainers Academy (one on one tutoring) from 8:00am-2:00pm on School days. Service Learners will be paired up to work one-on-one with a student during each time period. Generally, service-learning students will be able to work with the same student every week, but the students could vary depending on attendance.
- Leadership Academy- Service learners will tutor and mentor children at the North Campus. Students will meet at the Main campus and will be shuttled to the North Campus, this does not include Saturday’s.
Commitment: Orientation plus a minimum of once a week during the semester. The time commitment per session varies according to program. Must serve through the week of May 8th.
- Attend the agency's mandatory orientation
- Paperwork for both the tutoring and nursery must be turned into the Service Learning office before orientation.
- Visit the site for 2-3 hours per week throughout the entire semester
- Site does not want latecomers - students starting late in semester (for whatever reason) should not sign up for this program.
- Attendance and punctuality are extremely important at this site; go every week and be on time.
- Students that take this position need to be self-motivated and open to diversity.
- Attending the group orientation is a requirement for participation at the Joy House.
- Dress code: Attire must be appropriate.