Our Next Generation, Inc.
Address: St. Andrews Church, 3421 W. Lisbon Ave. (Main location)
By car: West on Wisconsin Ave. to 35th Street. Take a right on 35th to Lisbon (about 8 or so blocks). Right on Lisbon (St. Andrew's is on the corner of 35th and Lisbon). Parking lot entrance is off of 34th St.
By bus: Take the #10 or #30 West on Wisconsin Ave. to 35th Street. At 35th Street transfer to the #35 bus toward Silver Spring. Get off at the Lisbon Avenue stop (intersection of Lisbon and 35th) and walk to destination.
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 10 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 20 minutes
Orientation: Tuesday, January 28 from 5:00-6:00pm or Thursday, January 30 from 12:30-1:30pm
Days/Hours of Operation:
- Homework Club: Monday-Thursday 2:30-6:00pm
- High School Connection: Thursdays 5:30-8:00pm
- Leadership Club: Fridays 4:00-7:00pm
Description of Agency/Activities: Our Next Generation, Inc. (ONG) is a nonprofit, community-based organization providing one-on-one mentoring and associated support programs for urban youth in the 35th Street and Lisbon Avenue community. ONG serves nearly 450 children from 25 schools. Our Next Generation’s mission is "to operate and maintain charitable, educational and social activities for central city residents of all ages, creeds and races, with special emphasis on children and their families." The agency offers several activities for Service Learners.
- Homework Club is an after school academic mentoring program. The primary objective of HWC is to sustain the needs of the whole child with special emphasis placed upon her/his education. The Homework Club has evolved into a more holistic program that includes programming focused on personal development, literacy enhancement, arts, health and wellness, and other enrichment activities. Service Learners interested in HWC may attend between Monday-Thursday 2:30-6:00pm.
- High School Connection Our Next Generation's high school program is designed to provide our teenagers with both a structured curriculum as well as a safe, supervised environment for social activities and opportunities for workforce training and soft-skill development.Students ages 13-17 may attend HSC for an evening of activities and meaningful social interaction. The program also helps to address the critical social issues facing kids in the neighborhood. Service Learners interested in HSC may attend Thursdays 5:30-8:00pm.
- Leadership Club is a social group for students ranging from seventh grade to high school. The students engage in enriching dialogue regarding personal development, which also provides safe alternative evening activities for the students in attendance. Service Learners would facilitate these discussions using a set curriculum. Service Learners interested in Leadership Club can attend Fridays from 4:00-7:00pm.
Commitment: One-hour orientation session conducted at the agency. 2-3 hour per week service commitment. Since Service Learners build a relationship with the child, consistent attendance is extremely important! Please apply for this site only if you think you can make it every week!
- If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so after Sign-Up Night. More information will be available at Sign-Up Night.