Insurance / Self-Insurance and Excess Programs
All Marquette employees are covered by the university when they are engaged/involved in Marquette business and/or curriculum activities acting in the scope of their authority. The scope of the insurance coverage is related to legal and prudent behavior.
Specific insurance coverages include:
- Property Insurance - Buildings and Contents - Insurance covers fire, smoke, windstorm, explosion, riot, civil commotion, vandalism, malicious mischief, falling aircraft, and theft. With assets over $1 Billion, the university retains substantial deductibles however a department is charged a smaller threshold deductible for each loss depending upon the type and circumstances of the claim.
- General Premises and Automobile Liability Insurance covers all locations and activities including university property and owned and rental vehicles used on university business. For personal vehicles used on university business, liability insurance covers excess of the insurance provided by a faculty or staff member's personal automobile liability insurance. Liability insurance also covers any owned and non-owned aircraft, watercraft, employers' liability, and products liability. university officers, faculty, and staff are included as additional insured’s for activities arising out of and in the scope of their employment.
- Workers' Compensation - Covers medical expenses, vocational rehabilitation and disability as required by law. The university's claims are administered by a third party claims management unit.
- Blanket Crime and Fiduciary Coverage - Insurance covers loss to monies and securities due to robbery, burglary, theft, or employee dishonesty.
- Physical damage to university-owned vehicles and rented vehicles for use on university business – Insurance covers loss by collision and theft above retentions. Departments are charged a threshold deductible for claims depending upon determination of fault. When renting vehicles on business, do not purchase the rental agency's insurance applicable to the collision and physical damage deductible "buy back" provision.
- Professional Liability - Insurance covers claims of malpractice or professional errors and omissions by licensed representatives of the university. There are many different types of professional liability policies. Some examples include coverage for Directors, Trustees and Officers, Lawyers, Architects and Engineers, and Physicians and Dentists. Protection includes coverage for Students in Practicum .
- Miscellaneous coverage arranged through the Office of Risk Management include: Notary and other miscellaneous bonds
- Accident coverage for certain camps and clinics program
- Intercollegiate sports accidents & injuries
- Administration of the student health insurance plans