When he was named Marquette's 24th president in March 2014, President Lovell specified several strategic initiatives for his first year, including:
- Filling vacant high-profile university leadership positions with qualified, dynamic individuals
- Using the university's strategic plan, Beyond Boundaries, as a road map to bolster Marquette’s national academic and research reputation and provide new transformational educational and research opportunities at all levels of Marquette's campus
- Working closely with the Marquette Jesuit community to honor and preserve the university's Catholic, Jesuit tradition and mission
- Enhancing Marquette's already-strong student experience to provide a campus experience that is second to none
- Establishing new relationships and collaborating with key business and thought leaders locally, regionally and nationally to foster innovation and allow Marquette to reach new levels of academic excellence
- Providing a transformational educational experience with a foundation in inquiry and pursuit of lifelong learning, descended from the Jesuits' early curriculum grounded in the arts and sciences
President Lovell has committed to communicating frequently with Marquette students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends about important initiatives and the university's progress toward achieving the goals outlined in its strategic plan, Beyond Boundaries.