Get Involved

Students in the Graduate School of Management (GSM) cannot repeat courses to improve grades.  However, if a student has failed a course and is allowed to continue studies, or has been readmitted, and the course is required in their degree requirements, the student must retake the course.  All grades received, including an F grade, remain in the GSM grade point average.  A minimum grade point average of 3.000 is required to graduate.

GSM students who must repeat a course need approval to do so.  Approval will be granted under certain conditions:
  1. Normally, the repeated course is taken at Marquette.
  2. The repeated course is identical to the original course in subject, catalog number, title,       subtitle and credits.
  3. The repeated course is graded with the same grading options as the original, i.e., students may not exercise a different grading option for a repeated course, unless it is now a required grading scheme.
  4. Courses that are failed may be repeated until a passing grade is earned.
    > A failed grade is determined as any grade that is lower than the minimum grade needed in a course, as per university policy and/or the requirements of a college’s program requirements.
    > A passing grade is determined by the minimum grade that is required in order to receive credit for the course, or to fulfill the program requirements of a degree/major/minor/certificate, as published in the academic program requirements of the university/college/school/department.
  5. These courses allow unlimited repeats:  colloquiums, continuation, placeholder, independent study/research, internships, seminar/reading, studio/workshops, study abroad and variable title courses (e.g., topics).
  6. If a student repeats a course that was transferred to Marquette, only the Marquette course/grade will be reflected in the total credits earned.

Should a student need to take a course more than once, other than those reference in item #5 above, the student must file the Request Permission to Repeat a Course form.



The Office of the Registrar is the official keeper of academic records including course registrations, grades, transcripts and diplomas.

Find information about...

Trouble finding something? Contact the Office of the Registrar