Get Involved

Health Sciences Professional students who repeat a course, may do so under certain conditions:

  1. Normally, the repeated course is taken at Marquette.
  2. The repeated course is identical to the original course in subject, catalog number, title, subtitle and credits.
  3. The repeated course is graded with the same grading options as the original.
  4. Courses that are failed may be repeated until a passing grade is earned.
    >A passing grade is determined by the grade that is required in order to receive credit for the course, or to fulfill the program requirements of a degree/major/minor/certificate, as published in the academic program requirements of the university/college/school/department.
  5. Courses in which a passing grade is earned may be repeated only once.
  6. These courses allow unlimited repeats:  colloquiums, continuation placeholder, co-ops, independent study/research, internships, practicums/clinicals/field work experience, seminar/reading, studio/workshops, study abroad and variable title courses (e.g., topics).

Credit hours earned in a repeated course are only awarded once; however, all previous courses and grades remain on the student’s permanent academic record.  Beginning Fall 1999, the grade in the original course is excluded from the cumulative grade point average calculation.  The cumulative grade point average is adjusted at the time the repeated course is graded.  If a student audits or withdraws from the repeated course, the earlier grade will remain in the cumulative grade point average.  If a student repeats a course that was transferred to Marquette, only the Marquette course/grade will be reflected in the total credits earned. 

At the time of registration, the repeat process is automated for the first repeat of any course that is not an unlimited repeat course.  Should a student need to repeat a course more than once, a request to repeat must be filed using the Request Permission to Repeat a Course form.  This request will only be approved if the student has not earned a passing grade in the course.


The Office of the Registrar is the official keeper of academic records including course registrations, grades, transcripts and diplomas.

Find information about...

Trouble finding something? Contact the Office of the Registrar