The Circulation Departments in both Raynor and Memorial Libraries handle book check-outs and
returns, recalls for library material checked-out to another user, and all notices and bills for
overdue material. The Raynor Circulation Desk is located just inside the turnstiles and the
Memorial Circulation Desk is located on level 2 next to the Bridge.
View the appropriate category below for specific information.
Holds and Recalls
- A combined maximum of five active holds and/or recalls at one time are allowed per user.
- All circulating items are subject to recall by other users; the first user is guaranteed 10
days usage. (Material needed for Class Reserve must be returned immediately.) When a recall is
issued the original due date is canceled and a new due date is established.
- EXCEPTION: -- Alumni and Courtesy Card holders cannot place recalls..
- The patron with the material is sent a recall notice requesting return of the material within
seven days. If the item is not returned within that time, an Overdue Recall notice is sent and
borrowing privileges are suspended until the item is returned.
- Users with recalled items that are more than one week overdue will be billed for the replacement
cost of the item plus a non-refundable $25.00 billing fee.
- Ignoring a recall notice is a serious breach of library etiquette. The recall policy is designed
to insure equal access to the collection for all patrons.
How to Recall or Hold an Item
Online hold or recall
- Search MARQCAT for the needed item.
- If the item is checked out, the status box will display the DUE DATE and there will
be a blue check mark button along the top of the screen labeled REQUEST. Click on that
- Enter your
Marqnet/e-mail username and password in the corresponding boxes.
- Click on, “Submit.”
- The book title and related information will be displayed, and if the information is
correct, click the REQUEST SELECTED ITEM button.
- You will be notified via Marquette e-mail when the material is ready for pickup. The
material will be held at the Raynor Circulation Desk for seven days.
- Some material cannot be recalled. Titles that are AVAILABLE should be on the shelf -
if you cannot find it, complete a Trace Request at the Circulation Desk. Material in
certain collections may not be eligible for recall. Not all library card holders are
eligible to place recalls. Courtesy Card and Infopass holders are not eligible. Also
any Marquette user with a block on their record will have to clear the block before
being eligible to place recalls.
- Return library material as soon as you are finished with it.
- Books may be returned to the Circulation Desk library.
- A book return located to the left of the North entrance to Raynor is open for after-hours
Damaged or Lost Materials
- Borrowers are responsible for all material checked out on their ID. Point out noticeable
damage prior to checking out any material.
- Bills for damaged or destroyed material may include the cost of the repair, the replacement
cost of the material and/or any applicable fine.
- Mutilation of library material is a serious offense punishable under Wisconsin statute 943.61.
The University will prosecute in cases of purposeful theft or damage.
Library Fines and Bills
- Library material not returned in a timely manner will be declared lost.
- Bills for lost books include the replacement cost of the book plus a $15.00 per book billing
fee. The billing fee is non-refundable..
- All bills are payable at the Raynor Circulation Desk.
The Infopass system supports cooperative borrowing of library material at most libraries within
the greater Milwaukee community. Staff at the Information
Desk can provide a form that allows borrowing for Marquette students. The following rules
- The needed material CANNOT be in the Marquette collection.
- A maximum of three items can be obtained on one Infopass.
- The Infopass must be completed and signed at Marquette PRIOR to going to the holding library.
Information Desk staff can help determine the location and availability of needed material.
- The lending library may impose daily fines for overdue Infopass material. Pay attention to
the loan rules when obtaining material via the Infopass system. Marquette has agreed to bill
delinquent borrowers for non-returned Infopass material.
- Questions? Please contact the Information Desk at (414) 288-7556 or by email.
Cooperative Access Program (CAP)
Marquette University Libraries, the Medical College of Wisconsin and the University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee have developed (CAP) Cooperative Access Program for scholars to obtain local access to needed
- Call the Circulation Desk at (414) 288-7555.