Guidelines for Interlibrary Loans
All Marquette Archives interlibrary loans (ILL) are subject to the following conditions.
- Material must be used in-library only; it may not leave your building.
- Material must be returned via a traceable method, e.g. UPS, FedEx.
- Material must be returned insured.
- Material must be returned in sturdy and secure boxes.
Borrowing libraries must agree to all of these conditions before any material will be loaned. To streamline the process, you may indicate your specific agreement to all of these conditions in your initial ILL request.
- Go to a local library that will borrow the Marquette materials in your behalf. Fill out and return to them their ILL form.
- Include only one title per request. You may send an additional request for each additional title.
- When requesting more than one item from the same collection, e.g. microfilm reels, list the information for all items in one request, subject to the quantity limits given below.
- List as the author, the name of the collection in full, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions (U.S.). No abbreviations please!
- List the title of a collection, e.g., Records, Papers, Collection, with the dates that follow, e.g. Records, 1848, 185- , and for requests for microfilm in the Marquette Archives, both the series and reel numbers are required, e.g. series 1-1, reels 7, 8, 9, 20, 22; series 4-1, reel 1.
- Include the OCLC number, if known, but the OCLC number is not needed for requests for microfilm in the Marquette Archives.
- If a request pertains to materials not listed in the Marquette online catalog, and/or the request has prior authorization (plus specific request details) from a Marquette archivist, please add on the memo line, "Per conversation with Marquette archivist."
- If you anticipate borrowing substantial quantities of microfilm that will require a series of requests, e.g. more than 12 reels of Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions (U.S.) series 1-1 microfilm, you are advised to submit a master list of all requests via email to the appropriate Marquette archivist or to "Ask an Archivist" prior to your initial request. Then please add on the memo line, "Master request list submitted to Marquette archivist." This will enable archives staff to substitute future reels if needed.
4 weeks; contact Marquette ILL before the end of the loan period regarding renewal requests.
Library Request Methods
Send your detailed request via:
Use OCLC symbol, GZQ. Please list GZQ twice and note Special Collections/Archives request in the borrowing note.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (414) 288-5324
- U.S. Postal Service: Raynor Library - Interlibrary Loan, P.O. Box 3141, Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
- FedEx/UPS: Raynor Library - Interlibrary Loan, 1355 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53233
If using fax or U.S. Postal Service, an ALA form is preferred, but other request formats are accepted. ALA forms are available in small low cost quantities from library suppliers, e.g. Demco, Gaylord.
Marquette ships Special Collections/Archives loans via UPS.
Materials must be returned to Marquette insured via a traceable method, e.g. UPS, FedEx, in sturdy and secure boxes. Do not return loans in jiffy bags.
Insure microfilm for $40.00 per reel and high value monographs for the replacement price. (Available for less than 5% of the coverage amount.) A $10.00 replacement fee will be charged for each damaged microfilm box.
Microfilm designated as restricted is not available for interlibrary loan.
Some materials, such as certain rare books and periodicals, are available only as photocopies. When loan requests are received for these items, table of contents will be provided to aid patrons in requesting copies of specific pages.
A flat $8.00 copying fee is charged for any filled ILL photocopy request.
On each form, please observe these limits:
Photocopies: 100 pages.
Bound periodicals: 6 volumes.
Microfilm and audio/video requests originating in the United States: 12 items.
Microfilm and audio/video requests from outside the United States: 6 items.
Marquette University charges $25.00 for international loans.
For information on rush service, contact the ILL department directly.
For Further Information
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Department at:
Marquette University Libraries - Interlibrary Loan
P.O. Box 3141
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201-3141
Phone: (414) 288-7257
Fax: (414) 288-5324