We at the Marquette University Counseling Center serve students by supporting healthy personal and career development. The staff is comprised of experienced mental health professionals trained to attend to the emotional challenges and the career/major uncertainty that can accompany college. We provide a number of services, including:
- Personal counseling around personal concerns such as depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, eating disorders, stress management, loneliness, grief and loss, and helping students transition through the developmental stages of becoming an adult
- Group therapy (e.g., Taking Action! groups, ACT for Social Anxiety, Mindful Living, Create Your Own Calm, Grad/Professional Support Group, LGBQ+ and Trans & Gender Diverse Support/Discussion Groups, Men |2| Men, Whatever it Takes: Sobriety Group, as well as Circle of Healing: Surviors Support Group)
- Career exploration such as identifying abilities, values and interests, exploring career options, choosing or changing a major, as well as working through familial, cultural, and mental health concerns that may influence one’s choice of majors or careers. Students are certainly encouraged to utilize the Career Services Center and the resources available there, such as the Handshake career platform (https://marquette.joinhandshake.com)
- Outreach and consultation to students, faculty and staff around various issues, such as communication skills, mental health education, personality types, stress management, crisis intervention, career exploration, and suicide prevention
- Peer education on sexual violence
Services are confidential; counseling records are kept separate from academic, disciplinary, and medical records to ensure students' privacy and confidentiality. No information is released without the knowledge and written consent of the student. However, if an emergency arises in which students demonstrate a high probability of harming themselves or others, the staff may release information without written consent of the student. The Counseling Center is HIPPA compliant.
For more information, call (414) 288-7172 or visit our office in Holthusen Hall, Room 204. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m to 4:30 p.m.